Thursday, May 14, 2009

Is President Obama an incarnation of God?


In class tomorrow, we will start discussing the Rastafari movement. The Rastafari movement takes place in Ethiopia. Believes taking part in the Rastafari movement believe that Haile Selassie I, the former emperor of Ethiopia, is the incarnation of God. Haile Selassie I is seen as the long awaited messiah that is promised in the Bible. Here is a website with more information on the Rastafari movement. I decided to see what kinds of videos youtube.com would have on this interesting movement. The video, above, is the one that I found the most interesting of them all.

The video shows a crowd in Ethiopia. The crowd is screaming and shouting in happiness for the arrival of Haile Selassie I. A complete parade and celebration occurred in his honor. His importance is very evidence to the people of Ethiopia, and in reality, to anyone else believing that he is an incarnation of God. I want to take this idea a little bit further. What would happen to the world if movements like this occurred all the time? What if each county felt that their ruler was an incarnation of God? I think this scenario, hopefully impossible, would create situations that would both be scary and unsatisfying. I don't know if unsatisfying is the right word, but I will use it for now.

If this situation somehow occurred, meaning that each country believed their leader was an incarnation of God, what would be different from what happens today? Well, I think the easy answer is that everything would change. There are already so many tensions between major religions, but the tensions of so many different countries' "religions" would be unbearable. War World III would break out! In addition, I feel there is a certain sense of community when you know someone across the world believes the same things you do. It has a certain comfort and belonging that this type of community has. In this simulation, this sense of community would be lost. It is clear to me, that if a Rastafari-like movement occurred in every country, I might want to move to the moon!

3 comments:

  1. I find that very interesting that you think this. I think it would be very curious to see what happened if everyone thought of their religious leader as an reincarnation. President Obama would be...God. But, I feel there could be a benefit to it. Countries could eventually have unity within itself instead of promoting all different types of disagreements. I'm not saying that I would promote the idea, I'm simply saying that it would be very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's an interesting question.. I think you are right that the more people who believe they are God, the more it will be difficult to reason between them. One oddity about this Rastafari situation is that Haillie Salassie was not actually their leader.. and he thought the adulation was somewhat funny.

    ReplyDelete